There has been a group of people working away for the last few years to achieve a Victorian Volcanic Plain Biosphere. They believe that threatened and endangered species and ecosystems of the Victorian Volcanic Plain may be better secured for the future if a UNESCO Biosphere is created. They are close to having enough members to be able to progress to the next stage but just need a few more, so they are on a membership drive. Here is a brochure and form in case you are interested. Membership form and VVPBiosphere Brochure 2016.
A UNESCO Biosphere is an internationally recognised land sustainability initiative which;
– Includes protected areas of characteristic ecosystems and surrounding lands that are managed for conservation and sustainable use
– With people as an integral component, the land is managed for objectives ranging from complete protection to intensive yet sustainable production
– Provides a regional centre for monitoring, research, education and training on natural and managed ecosystems
– Is a place where government decision makers, scientists, managers and local people cooperate in developing a model program for managing land and water to meet human needs while conserving natural processes and biological resources.
– Is a symbol of voluntary cooperation to conserve and use resources for the well being of people everywhere